In 1999, Nicole Johnson served as Miss America with a focus on diabetes. She has lived with Type 1 diabetes since 1993. Today, Nicole works with JDRF and the Diabetes Empowerment Foundation applying her research skills and working to make sure patient voices are understood. Nicole and her team partner Sharlene Wells Hawkes are participating in the Amazon Prime reality show Fireball Run. The show will be filming in our area Sept. 23-30, 2017 and our chapter families are invited to participate!
Every city will have a finish line event where community members/attendees will interact with the 40 Fireball Run teams, take photos with the cars (many are exotic), and generally have a great time. Come out to take photos with Nicole’s JDRF car, interact with two former Miss Americas – the drivers of the car, and connect with each other.
Vote for and learn more about Nicole & Sharlene on their team page!
Below are the dates and times they are in our region for the show filming. Share with your family and friends. You never know, you just might get on camera! Wear your favorite JDRF shirt and be ready to show the Fireball Run teams and film crew how special our diabetes community is.
- Sept. 23 – Eau Claire WI: 8:00 – 8:30am – Car set up, Mayor filming, start – South Barstow & E. Grand
- Sept. 24 – Rochester MN: 3:45pm – 6:30pm – Peace Plaza – 101 1st Ave. SW
- Sept. 25 – Dubuque IA: 4:15pm -6:30pm – Clock Tower – 799 Main Street
- Sept. 26 – Burlington IA: 3:30pm – 6:30pm – 301 Jefferson Street
- Sept. 27 – Fort Dodge IA: 3:30pm – 6:30pm – 701 Central Ave.
- Sept. 28 – Vermillion SD: 4:00pm – 6:30pm – 1 E. Main Street
- Sept. 29 – Pierre SD: 3:30pm – 6:00pm – 411 S. Pierre Street
- Sept. 30 – Rapid City SD: 2:00pm – 7:30pm – Main Street