November is National Diabetes Awareness Month
National Diabetes Awareness Month is observed every November to draw attention to diabetes and its effects on millions of Americans. As the leading global organization funding type 1 diabetes (T1D) research, JDRF leads the way to educate the public, helping the T1D community spread awareness about what it means to live with T1D and what we can all do to accelerate life-changing breakthroughs to cure, prevent and treat T1D and its complications.
Here’s how you can help spread awareness this month:
1. Designate a Blue Day – Ask friends, family, and co-workers to wear blue to support and raise awareness for diabetes throughout the month.
2. Share Information – Set up a JDRF display or information in your place of work.
3. Emails and Social Media – JDRF will be sending out weekly emails and posting frequently on our local and national social media sites. Share this information with your network and ask them to share as well.
4. Plan a Giving Tuesday Campaign – Let your friends and family know what they can do to support T1D research by encouraging them to donate to JDRF on Giving Tuesday, an international charity giving campaign.
5. Plan an Office Fundraiser – have employees or co-workers donate $5 per week or $20 for the month to be able to wear blue jeans to work every day, wear a special celebratory uniform shirt, or for other special privileges.
6. Participate in the JDRF campaign T1D Looks Like Me by going to the T1D Looks Like Me page during the month of November to create a custom profile photo to use on their Twitter, Facebook and other social media accounts. This page also features a “T1D Footprint Generator” to help T1D families explain the cumulative burden of living with this disease, as well as a “Get Quizzed By a Whiz Kid” quiz that lets you test your T1D knowledge against that of a nine-year old with T1D.
Important Dates to Remember:
T1D Day: Wednesday, November 1
World Diabetes Day: Tuesday, November 14
Cyber Monday: Monday, November 27
Giving Tuesday: Tuesday, November 28
Together we will raise awareness for type 1 diabetes, educate others about life with T1D and raise much needed funds to accelerate life-changing breakthroughs to cure, prevent and treat T1D and its complications. You are making the difference. Thank you!