Immunology of Diabetes Society Congress Brings World-Renowned Minds to London, England
Every 18 months, researchers from around the world gather for the Immunology of Diabetes Society (IDS) Congress, which is taking place this year on October 25–29 in London, England. Nearly 50 studies will be presented by JDRF-funded, either now or in the past, investigators, who are working to treat, prevent and, ultimately, cure this disease and its complications. Jessica Dunne, Ph.D., lead on the JDRF Prevention Program, and Simi Ahmed, Ph.D., lead on the JDRF Immune Therapies Program, will also be there, chairing two sessions.
We are going to get updates on:
- On October 25, we will hear from Anette-Gabriele Ziegler, M.D., Ph.D., a JDRF grantee and winner of this year’s JDRF Eisenbarth Award, who will be giving the opening remarks as president of IDS
- The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young (TEDDY) will present on October 26, and will include William Hagopian, M.D., Ph.D., Heikki Hyoty, M.D., Ph.D., Jeffrey Krischer, Ph.D., who will give a presentation on the microbiome—the trillions of microbes that play an important role in our immune system—and ways that it can be altered in children with T1D
- We are going to hear from Ludvig Sollid, M.D., Ph.D., about how celiac disease and T1D are related on October 26
- On October 28, we will hear from a number of JDRF grantees—including Stephen Gitelman, M.D., who was the lead on the JDRF-funded clinical trial of the cancer drug Gleevec; Carmella Evans-Molina, M.D., Ph.D.; and Michael Haller, M.D.—who will give us updates on the T1D TrialNet clinical trials
- On October 28, we will hear from INNODIA investigator and JDRF grantee Riitta Lahesmaa, M.D., Ph.D., about the early signs of T1D
- And finally, on October 29, we will hear from the Network of Pancreatic Organ Donors with Diabetes (nPOD), which JDRF established in 2007, including Sarah Richardson, Ph.D., who will be making a case for a virus in T1D, and Alvin Powers, M.D., who will be talking about beta cell regeneration
Stay tuned on social media channels (Facebook at @myJDRF, Twitter at @JDRF and @JDRFResearch and LinkedIn) for exciting news at the IDS Congress!