Saturday, March 7, 2020
Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
On Saturday, March 7 the JDRF Capital and Maryland chapters will host the 2020 TypeOneNation Summit for the type 1 diabetes (T1D) community. More than 1,000 people from Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia will attend this free, day-long event showcasing the latest in T1D management, technology, and treatments. Several top researchers, T1D experts, and advocates will update us on important breakthroughs in T1D research and access to treatment issues.
TypeOneNation Summit, an annual event, will be held at the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center and will feature on-site T1D clinical trial screenings (TrialNet) and an interactive and engaging Youth Program designed for children and teens ages 5-18. The Summit is a great opportunity to connect with old and new friends in the Vendor Hall, a bustling area showcasing the latest in T1D technology, local support and educational resources, publications, and local T1D camps and programs.
This year, an interactive expert panel will be a new addition to the Main Program. Attendees will get an up-close view of progress made toward T1D prevention, better treatments, and cures.
Featured speakers include:
- Kevan Herold, M.D., a professor of immunology and medicine at Yale University whose research has significantly advanced the use of immune therapies to slow and stop T1D progression
- Jessica Dunne, Ph.D., Senior Director of JDRF’s Prevention Research Program
- Campbell Hutton MSPH, Vice President of Regulatory and Health Policy at JDRF
- Ashleigh Palmer, Co-Founder and CEO of Provention Bio, Inc., a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to intercepting and preventing immune-mediated diseases
- Rick Philbin, MBA, M.Ed., an athletic trainer and exercise and diabetes tech enthusiast with T1D
Prior to the start of the main program, a variety of Breakout Sessions will be offered. The popular sessions, led by healthcare professionals and T1D veterans, are designed for all ages at all stages of T1D. Attendees will be encouraged to ask questions, share stories, and support others.
Attendees can register for one of the following Breakout Sessions:
- T1D Toddlers and Preschoolers (parents of children age 5 and under)
- Taking T1D to School
- Tackling the Tween Years (for parents of children ages 9-12)
- T1D and the Teen Years (for parents of children ages 13-18)
- “Adulting” with T1D (for young adults)
- Lessons Learned from Life with T1D: Adult Perspectives
- Diabetes 101 for Grandparents and Other Caregivers
- T1D Chat for Spanish-Speaking Families
For more information about the 2020 JDRF TypeOneNation Summit, visit jdrfsummit.org.