Presented by WCF Insurance, the Utah JDRF One Walk was held for the first time since 2019 on May 21 at the Shops at South Town in Sandy, Utah. The Utah type 1 diabetes (T1D) community showed their enthusiasm and support and raised nearly $350,000 to achieve JDRF’s mission work. Over 100 family teams and 13 company teams were excited to join and become part of the committed community that is passionate about doing whatever it takes to live in a world without T1D.
A few moments of special celebration:
- 20 teams achieved Top Team status, raising over $3,000 each and earning a tent in our Top Team Village!
- 2022’s Top Team was Team Thomas, followed closely by Laila’s Lunar Mission. Together, they raised nearly $50,000!!
- First-year team A+R won the “Rookie Team of the Year” award, raising an astounding $10,463!
- Teams raising at least $1,500 earned their very own sign along the “Mile of Hope” to celebrate their T1D champion.
- Fox 13 anchor Dani Ruberti emceed the program, and Youth Ambassador and Team Captain Reese Monson, who lives with T1D, beautifully sang the National Anthem.
- Utah Community Board President Merissa Davis shared her touching T1D story and journey, instilling hope into many individuals and families who have not been able to attend a T1D event during their own T1D journey.
- Our venue partner The Shops at South Town sponsored the very popular bounce house, face painters, and balloon artists that every child (and child-at-heart!) enjoyed.
- Participants were kept full and caffeinated from numerous donations by Sysco, Starbucks, Lakanto, M&M Distributing, and PepsiCo!
- Cheerleaders from Highland High School excitedly encouraged walkers along the 2-mile route led by board member Johnny Richie in his super-charged 4×4, blasting music the entire time!
May 21 provided an opportunity learn more about what JDRF has achieved for people with T1D – many families took advantage of the opportunity to learn more about JDRF resources and programs at our New Family Welcome Center. Participants were even able to take part in screening for T1D with our friends at TrialNet, an international JDRF-supported network of leading academic institutions, endocrinologists, physicians, scientists and healthcare teams dedicated to finding cures.
This event could not have happened without the incredible support of the Utah Walk Committee and the 100+ volunteers who gave their time and talents to the day. The JDRF Team would like to extend an extra special thank you to Goldman Sachs, Sonya Patel, Sumer Holt and the Cannon family for coordinating the incredible volunteers that made the event day possible.
Utah Walk participants have until June 30th to achieve incentives for the 2022 event!
The Mountain West Chapter is also excited for the next big T1D community event, the 2022 Colorado JDRF One Walk, Presented by Floyd’s 99 Barbershop, on Sunday, September 25 at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds in Golden, Colorado. Click here to register or learn more.