We all may think of many things when November rolls around… Fall colors. Crisp air. Pumpkin spice. Giving thanks. And diabetes?
November is National Diabetes Awareness Month (NDAM)!
Every year during the month of November, people from all over the country team up to spread awareness about diabetes and highlight the urgent need to accelerate life-changing breakthroughs to cure, prevent and treat type 1 diabetes (T1D) and its complications. The need for awareness and education on T1D is more important than ever and this NDAM, we’re asking you to join us.
This year, we’re showing the world how we’re moving Forward together. We’re celebrating the progress we’ve made, the progress to come and the community that helps us all move #ForwardAs1. Forward reminds us think about WHAT and WHO this progress is FOR: FOR our loved ones; FOR access and choice; FOR treatments and cures; and FOR so much more.
From #T1Day on November 1 to #WorldDiabetesDay on November 14, there are so many ways to make your voice heard during NDAM:
- Sign up to be an Advocate and follow us on socials @JDRFAdvocacy to see the latest on our efforts to advocate for continued federal research funding and policies to support affordability, choice and coverage.
- Apply to join JDRF’s Advocates in Action Council! This group of young adults ages 18 to 26 are business professionals, community leaders and engaged students passionate about actively supporting the advancement of JDRF’s advocacy priority areas, spread awareness of T1D in their communities and inspire youth to use their voices to share their stories. Applications close at midnight on November 30!
- Apply to be a delegate representing Mountain West at JDRF 2023 Children’s Congress! Youth ages 4 to 17 will have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to engage in leadership experiences and meet with federal decision-makers on Capitol Hill to share their experiences of life with T1D and why policies related to T1D should be at top of mind. The 2023 session will convene in Washington, D.C., in June 2023. Applications close at midnight on November 30!
- Help JDRF move cures Forward with every mile you walk, ride or run!
- Join JDRF for our monthly TypeOneNation Virtual Summits, where experts from across the country will share their knowledge on important topics affecting those living with T1D and their loved ones.
- Sign up to be a Mountain West volunteer and become an active part of the movement that will find cures for T1D.
Take advantage of ways to support NDAM within the Mountain West community:
- Apply to be a Mountain West Youth Ambassador! Youth ages 5-18 living with T1D in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming are invited to apply for the 2023 term of Mountain West Youth Ambassadors! Youth Ambassadors play an important role in supporting JDRF’s mission by increasing awareness of T1D in their communities; volunteering for activities that fund mission work; and learning valuable leadership skills. Applications close at 11:59pm MT on November 30!
- Register for TypeOneNation Summit Meet & Greet! Join us on the evening of November 16 at the SCHEELS in Sandy, Utah, for a free event offering education and support for the Utah T1D community.
- Get involved in the 2023 Mountain West Dream Gala!
- Join the auction committee and help us collect auction items for attendees to bid on.
- Volunteer to help us set up, get guests registered, check out auction items and break down at the end of the night.
- Sponsor a table or purchase tickets. Do you work for a great company? We’d love their support and can provide marketing benefits.
- Register for the JDRF One Walk Utah! The biggest T1D celebration in the state of Utah is coming back on May 20, 2023 at the Shops at South Town in Sandy, UT. Register today and be the first to hear about an exciting Giving Tuesday announcement!
Every day, the JDRF community is moving #ForwardAs1 to improve the lives of people living with T1D. Forward is what fuels our vision and mission to create a world without T1D, and we can’t do what we do without you.
Let’s move #ForwardAs1!