We are so excited for JDRF One Walk Great Escape on Saturday, May 11, 2019. Here is some important day of information that you need to know to make your day great!
DIRECTIONS & PARKING
- As you drive to One Walk, make sure you show all the other drivers that you are on The Road to a Cure by decorating your car. Shout out your T1D! Show your team spirit! Go JDRF! Every decorated car will receive a coupon for a free Hoffman Car Wash as you pull into the parking lot.
- Six Flags Great Escape is located at 89 Six Flags Drive, Queensbury, NY 12804. Take 1-87 to Exit 20. Travel south on Route 9 approximately ¼ mile and turn right onto Six Flags Drive into the main parking lot. Please note the parking lot is across the street from the park near the Lodge.
- Parking is free. When you pull into the parking lot please tell the parking attendant that you are here for the JDRF walk. Once you are parked you will stop at the base of the pedestrian bridge at the Walker Check Point.
- There is a short walk (0.4 miles) from the Walker Check Point to the walk pavilions, located near The Comet. The route will be marked with orange arrows and orange balloons. Shuttles will be available for those who cannot make the walk to Check In. Check-in opens at 9:30am.
- Every attendee is required to stop at Check-In.
- Prior to check-in, all walkers must fill out an envelope, whether they are turning in donations or not. Envelopes can be picked up at either of the Walker Check Points or at the tables set up in front of Check-In.
- Team Captains will be given an envelope at check-in containing their team’s Great Escape tickets. The Team Captain will then distribute the tickets to the members of the team that have earned them. If you have registered as an individual (not associated with a team) you will get your ticket at check-in.
- Check-in opens at 9:30am. We strongly discourage late arrivals as it poses multiple challenges. For those arriving after 10am, you must board a shuttle to be taken back to the walk pavilions. Walkers will not be admitted into the walk after 10:45am.
- Bring all monies you have collected with you to Check-In.
- Personal donations will also be accepted via cash, check (made payable to JDRF), or credit card at Check-In.
- We will start and end the walk at the pavilions near the Comet roller coaster. The walk route is approx. 1.5 miles. Walkers are welcome to do 2 loops for a total of 3 miles.
- Part of the walk route goes behind The Comet on a dirt road. An alternate route is available for those with strollers or wheelchairs that this may pose some challenges for.
- Please note that there are no pets allowed in Great Escape or along the walk route.
GREAT ESCAPE PARK ADMISSION
- Thanks to our generous partnership with Six Flags Great Escape, every registered walker who raises $100 or more gets a park pass to use on Walk Day! Team Captains will be given an envelope at Check-In containing their team’s Great Escape tickets. The Team Captain will then distribute the tickets to the members of the team who have earned them. If you have registered as an individual (not associated with a team) you will get your ticket at check-in.
- Walkers who have not raised $100+ will have the ability to purchase discounted admission to the Great Escape for $20. Following lunch after the walk, any person needing to purchase a ticket can do so at ticket booth near the soda fountains. You will not need to go back to the main gate to purchase your ticket.
- Anyone who wants to enter the park after the walk must have a ticket. Kids 2 and under are free. If you have a Great Escape Season Pass, please bring that with you and you can enter the park after lunch from the pavilions.
- Tickets will be in the form of a wristband and are only good for Saturday, May 11, 2019.
- Tickets can be transferred to another walker if you wish.
- Following the walk and lunch, walkers who choose not enter the park must return to their cars. Great Escape staff will escort small walking groups back to the main gate or you can chose to take a shuttle. The shuttles will run at 11:15am, 12:15pm and 12:45pm.
FOOD, FUN & ENTERTAINMENT
JDRF One Walk Great Escape is Rain or Shine! We have ample pavilion coverage for all our walkers.
- Make sure you download Selfiefinder from Google Play or the App Store. This FREE app will let you upload pictures from the day to be displayed on our jumbotron!
- Prior to the walk listen and dance to DJ Paul from Red Hot Entertainment.
- Coffee, water, fruit, and granola bars will be available before the walk and lunch from Sysco Foods will be available after the walk. Gluten free options are available upon request.
- Get your face painted, grab a balloon animal, and then take a picture in our Where Smiles Grow Photo booth.
- Make sure you snap with our One Walk SnapChat geofilter.
- Rufus will be on hand for a meet and greet and pictures.
- Anyone that has personally raised $100 or more will earn an official One Walk t-shirt.
- If you have raised over $1,000 personally or your team has raised over $3,000 you have earned admission into our V1P area! Our V1P Area will have reserved picnic tables, sparkling water from Saratoga Water, candy, and customizable signs to carry with you along the route.
- Members of our Top Teams will receive an admission ticket at Check-In.
- V1Ps, those who have personally raised over $1,000, will receive a lanyard at check-in. Our V1Ps will also get a cut the line pass for the rides that day as well as a coupon for a free ice cream from Martha’s Dandee Creme.
TYPE 1 MOMS
- Back by popular demand is our CAP COM Moms Area. Just in time for Mother’s Day, this is a special area just for our moms and grandmothers of those living with type 1, as well as moms who have T1D themselves.
- This area features chair massages from Back in Balance, Lindt chocolates, and more special treats! If you are a Type 1 Mom make sure you get your mom sticker at Check-In to gain entrance into the Moms Area.
T1D LOOKS LIKE ME
- If you have T1D, make sure you pick up your T1D Looks Like Me Head Buff at check-in to wear on Walk day. Wear it proudly because you are the reason we walk!
- Let everyone know who you are walking for when you fill out and wear your One Walk Walker Bib. Make sure to tell all your friends and family to pick one up at the JDRF info table and show it off!
- Please make sure to visit the following companies who will be onsite in our Diabetes Marketplace: Lilly Diabetes, OmniPod, Dexcom, Medtronic, and Eversense
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
Swagelok – Albany Valve & Fitting Co. • Six Flags Great Escape • CAP COM Federal Credit Union and the CAP COM Cares Foundation • Sysco Albany • Cohoes Savings Foundation • Exyte US, Inc. • Where Smiles Grow • Flaherty Foundation • Hoffman Car Wash & Jiffy Lube • Gallagher • NBT Bank • BBL Companies • Conway & Kirby, PLLC • Crisafulli Bros. Plumbing & Heating Contractors • M.M. Hayes Co., Inc. • Overton, Russell, Doerr & Donovan • Adirondack Trust Company • BD Companies • Empire BlueCross • Holiday Inn Saratoga Springs • KeyBank • Saratoga Spring Water Company • Wesley Health Care Center • Cleveland Brothers Landscaping • Back in Balance • Comfortex Window Fashions • Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP • Schaap Moving Systems • Lamar Advertising • Tops Friendly Markets • Transfinder • Charles Mossey Photography • Metropolitan Shuttle • Rueckert Advertising