JDRF NorCal September 2022 Newsletter
A New Tool to Accurately Diagnose Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) in Adults
Researchers have found that up to 20 percent of people with T1D can be misdiagnosed with T2D. JDRF and IQVIA teamed up to see if artificial intelligence, or AI, can be used to make an algorithm that can identify individuals with T1D to avoid misdiagnosis as T2D, and the results were just published. Read more.
JDRF Advocacy Opportunities for Young People
JDRF Advocates help build and sustain critical support for T1D research funded by the Federal Government by raising awareness among Members of Congress of the financial, medical and emotional costs of the disease. There are many opportunities for young people to get involved:
- JDRF 2023 Children’s Congress: Applications are open now until November 30th. Youth ages 4 – 17 (at the time of the event) with T1D are encouraged to apply for this once-in-a-lifetime experience to meet with Federal decision makers on Capitol Hill to advocate for continued research, and policies that promote affordability, choice, and coverage. Learn more and apply at cc.jdrf.org.
- JDRF Advocates in Action Council: Young adults ages 18-26 actively support the advancement of JDRF’s advocacy priority areas, spread awareness of T1D within their communities, and inspire youth to use their voices and share their stories with key decision makers. Applications are open now with the term officially starting on January 1, 2023. Learn more and apply at aac.jdrf.org.
- JDRF Youth Advocacy Leaders: Lend your voice on behalf of the T1D community to help support legislation and policies that accelerate life-changing breakthroughs to cure, prevent, and treat T1D and its complications. Learn more and apply at jdrf.org/yal.
Abbott Announced as Presenting Sponsor of 2022 JDRF Hope Gala
We are thrilled to have Presenting Sponsor Abbott – a global health tech company and the makers of the FreeStyle Libre® 3 continuous glucose monitoring system – join us at the JDRF Hope Gala on September 24th at The Ritz-Carlton in San Francisco. As a long-time partner, Abbott has been vital to our mission to improve lives and cure T1D. Read more.
Marshalls is Helping turn Type One into Type None!
Who doesn’t love a trip to Marshalls? Even better, from now until October 1st when you shop at your local Marshalls, you’ll have the chance to donate to JDRF at checkout! Learn more and find your nearest store here.
Upcoming Chapter Events
Sacramento Family & Caregivers Meet-Up – September 4, 2022, 2-4pm, Harry Crab Park, Roseville. This event will repeat every 3 months on the first Sunday. Learn more.
JDRF Hope Gala – September 24, 2022, The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco. Presented by Abbott – makers of the FreeStyle Libre® system. This lively and elegant fundraising event draws social, business and civic leaders from around the Bay Area and Northern California. Learn more at jdrf.org/norcal/hopegala.
JDRF TypeOneNation Educational Event – October 2, 2022, 9am-12:30pm, Sacramento Sheraton. Keynote Speaker: JDRF NorCal & International Board of Directors Member, Karen Jordan. FREE event. Learn more and register.
JDRF Ride – Six beautiful destinations and My Ride opportunities across the U.S. with local training events throughout 2022. All levels welcome! Learn more and register at ride.jdrf.org.
JDRF One Walk, NorCal – November 6, 2022.
We’ll be in person at California’s Great America in Santa Clara! Register today! walk.jdrf.org/norcal
Recurring Outreach Events:
E-Meet & Greets: Monthly Zoom Meetups – Rotating Wednesdays, 12pm PT
Parents and Caregivers of Children with T1D Under the Age of 5
Parents and Caregivers of Children with T1D Ages 5-12
Parents and Caregivers of Children with T1D Ages 13-21
Adults Living with T1D
Reunión Virtual Para Adultos y Familias con Diabetes Tipo 1 en Español – Segundo Miércoles, 5-6pm PT
T1D Teen Connect Monthly Meetup – Third Wednesdays, 5-6pm PT
Register for the next T1D Teen Connect.
Ask the Endo Monthly Sessions – Third Tuesdays, 8-9am PT
Register for the next Ask the Endo.
Ask the Therapist Monthly Sessions – First Wednesdays, 8-9am PT
Register for the next Ask the Therapist.
Young Leadership Committee (YLC) Meetings – First Wednesdays, 6pm PT
Register for the next YLC Monthly Meeting.
TypeOneNation Virtual Summit – First Thursdays
Register for the series. En español, regístrar aquí.
Special Announcements & Resources
- Become a JDRF Advocate! Help secure Federal funding for T1D research, and inform health and regulatory policy. Visit jdrf.org/join and email your U.S. Senators TODAY to advocate for the INSULIN Act to make insulin more affordable.
- Insulin Access: Need help accessing insulin? Visit GetInsulin.org
- Clinical Trials: Participating in a clinical trial is a great way to contribute to curing, preventing and treating T1D and its complications. Learn more
- Health Insurance Guide: JDRF is committed to supporting you by providing tools to help you navigate healthcare and health insurance. Learn more
- New Facebook Group for Spanish Speakers: JDRF California del norte en español
- Shop & Give Back: Visit jdrf.org/norcal/shop to view current promotions.
- Follow JDRF NorCal on Social Media: Stay connected on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube
Be the first to know about T1D news, local events and more: Click here and scroll down to Sign Up for JDRF subscriptions.
JDRF Northern California Chapter
Northwest Region Address:
JDRF, 1215 4th Ave. #1100
Seattle, WA 98161