What is a Youth Ambassador?
- YAs are children and teens (ages 5-18) with T1D who are willing to share their story of life with the disease in an effort to increase awareness of T1D and the importance of raising funds for a cure.
What does a Youth Ambassador do?
- Fundraise for JDRF:
- Create your own One Walk Family Team.
- Become a fundraising member on another YA One Walk Family Team.
- Recruit your school to start a One Walk School Team or particpate in other School & Youth Programming.
- Procure a YA inspired auction item or package for the JDRF Gala.
- Stewarding Annual Gala and One Walk sponsors:
- Create Thank You cards or craft items to send to sponsors.
- Film Thank You videos to sponsors.
- Visit offices of sponsors to deliver a Thank You gift.
- Attend Gala to sell raffle tickets, greet guests, & participate during the Fund-a-Cure portion of the program.
- Call auction winners and Fund-a-Cure donors in the week(s) following Gala.
- General Activities:
- Attend third party fundraisers and One Walk Corporate Team Kickoffs to give speeches and raise awareness.
- Visit corporate sponsor stores like Marshalls and Advanced Auto Parts to thank store managers.
- Let us share your story for JDRF promotional tools (Why We Walk, Why Attend the Annual Gala, Fund-a-Cure video played night of Gala, etc.).
- Attend and participate in One Walks, outreach events including TypeOneNation Summit, local Promise to Remember Me meetings (advocacy), and JDRF Children’s Congress.
- You are NOT required to participate in every event or YA opportunity.
What are the Youth Ambassador Requirements?
- Must be an active participant in the New York City/Long Island Chapter.
- If under 18, parents of the YA must give permission for their child to become an Ambassador and must be willing to support their child in this program and provide transportation to and from events and activities.
- The term limit is one school year (September to June). At the end of each school year you may let us know if you’d like to be considered again for the following year.
- As a YA you represent JDRF and are therefore not permitted to offer any opinion that is not in agreement or accordance with JDRF.
- Once you apply and are accepted as a YA, you’ll need to provide a photo to the chapter which may be shared on our website, social media, and other chapter materials.
If you are interested in becoming a Youth Ambassador, please complete the NYC/LI YA Application
Please email the completed application to Samantha Rogers at email@example.com or Betsy Paffmann at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also mail the completed application to Samantha Rogers, Outreach Manager, JDRF NYC/LI Chapter, 26 Broadway, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10004 or Betsy Paffmann, Senior Outreach Manager, JDRF NYC/LI Chapter, 532 Broadhollow Road, Suite, 118, Melville, NY 11747.