JDRF San Diego announces Xeris Pharmaceuticals, as Sponsor for the 2020 San Diego ONE Walk. Xeris is the creator of the Gvoke HypoPen, the first premixed autoinjector for very low blood sugar. Xeris participated in their first San Diego walk in 2018 and since then Team Xeris has raised over $8,000 to support Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) research. They are committed to Creating a World Without T1D.
Each year, the JDRF San Diego ONE Walk brings together over 4,000 walkers to change the future of T1D. Many of these walkers have T1D themselves, and many more are friends, family, or coworkers of someone challenged by this disease. Throughout the United States, JDRF ONE Walks bring together local families, corporations, school and individuals with the common goal of better treating, preventing, and ultimately curing T1D, a life-threatening disease that affects over 1.6 million Americans.
Because the health and safety of the T1D community is our top priority, we are thrilled to announce that the San Diego ONE Walk will join in the 2020 JDRF National ONE Walk on Sunday, November 1st (T1D Day), and the first day of National Diabetes Awareness Month (NDAM).
This fall, we will bring JDRF walkers together from all over the country to acknowledge and support the 1.6 million Americans living with T1D by collectively walking 1.6 million miles and raising $50 million dollars by November 1, 2020 to recognize 50 years of progress and impact at JDRF.
Leading up to November 1st and T1Day, walkers can set the pace, the place, the number of miles to walk as well as the dollars to raise with friends, family and colleagues from near and far. On November 1st, we will gather as a nationwide community to celebrate what makes JDRF ONE Walk so special – our stories, collective accomplishments, and the joy of coming together and positively changing the future for everyone living with T1D.
JDRF is committed to raising funds to support scientific research in the area of T1D. In California, JDRF is currently funding over $30 million in support of 28 research projects including six projects right here in San Diego, including research grants at UCSD and Scripps Research Institute. For anyone interested in joining JDRF and Xeris Pharmaceuticals at the San Diego ONE Walk, register at www.walk.jdrf/sandiego
Learn more about Gvoke HypoPen
Gvoke HypoPen Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6AV0XHDw5Q&t=9s
Gvoke HypoPen Coupon Code: https://www.gvokeglucagon.com/savings-and-support
Gvoke HypoPen Information
- Gvoke HypoPen is the first-ever premixed autoinjector that’s ready to use to treat very low blood sugar in adults and kids with diabetes ages 2 and above.
- Blood sugar levels can be unpredictable and sometimes go severely low. When that happens, you don’t want to have to guess what to do.
- Gvoke HypoPen can be used to treat a severe low even if you or your child experience one or more of the following:
- have repeatedly tried correcting with food or drink and it isn’t working
- are unable to swallow safely
- feel like you/they might pass out
- experience loss of consciousness or a seizure
- Gvoke HypoPen is a simple solution that will bring your blood sugar up to safe levels with just 2 steps.
- Use Gvoke HypoPen yourself or have someone help you in an emergency.
- Gvoke HypoPen comes in a convenient 2-pack It’s a good idea to tell your friends and family where you keep each Gvoke HypoPen, just in case you can’t get to them yourself.
Accessing Gvoke HypoPen
- Getting a Gvoke prescription has never been easier. There are two ways you can request it through your doctor: online or in-person.
- If you have commercial insurance, you can request a prescription for Gvoke HypoPen right from the comfort of home and have it delivered to your door fulfilled through PillPack by Amazon Pharmacy. Visit GvokeGlucagon.com to learn more.
- If you’d rather go the traditional route, you can see your doctor in person to request a prescription.
- For a limited time, Xeris is offering a $0 copay for commercially eligible patients to help ensure as many people as possible can access the Gvoke HypoPen.
GVOKE is a prescription medicine used to treat very low blood sugar (severe hypoglycemia) in people with diabetes ages 2 years and above. It is not known if GVOKE is safe and effective in children under 2 years of age.
Do not use GVOKE if:
- you have a tumor in the gland on top of your kidneys (adrenal gland), called a pheochromocytoma.
- you have a tumor in your pancreas, called an insulinoma.
- you are allergic to glucagon or any other ingredient in GVOKE.
GVOKE MAY CAUSE SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS, INCLUDING:
High blood pressure. GVOKE can cause high blood pressure in certain people with tumors in their adrenal glands. Low blood sugar. GVOKE can cause low blood sugar in certain people with tumors in their pancreas.
Serious allergic reaction. Call your doctor or get medical help right away if you have a serious allergic reaction including:
- difficulty breathing
- low blood pressure
COMMON SIDE EFFECTS
The most common side effects of GVOKE include:
- swelling at the injection site
These are not all the possible side effects of GVOKE. For more information, ask your doctor.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You are encouraged to report side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Before getting GVOKE, tell your healthcare provider about all your medical conditions, including if you:
- have a tumor in your pancreas.
- have not had food or water for a long time (prolonged fasting or starvation).
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
HOW TO USE
- Read the detailed Instructions For Use that comes with GVOKE.
- Make sure your caregiver knows where you keep your GVOKE and how to use GVOKE the right way before you need their help.
- Your doctor will tell you how and when to use GVOKE.
- GVOKE contains only 1 dose of medicine and cannot be reused.
- After giving GVOKE, the caregiver should call for emergency medical help right away.
- If the person does not respond after 15 minutes, another dose may be given.
- Tell your doctor each time you use GVOKE.
- Store GVOKE at temperatures between 68°F and 77°F. Do not keep it in the refrigerator or let it freeze.
- Keep GVOKE in the foil pouch until you are ready to use it.
Keep GVOKE and all medicines out of the reach of children.
For more information, call 1-877-937-4737 or go to www.GvokeGlucagon.com.
Click here to see Important Information about Gvoke.
JDRF is the leading global organization focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D) research. JDRF’s goal is to progressively remove the impact of T1D from people’s lives until we achieve a world without T1D. JDRF collaborates with a wide spectrum of partners and is the only organization with the scientific resources, regulatory influence and a working plan to bring life-changing therapies from the lab to the community. As the largest charitable supporter of T1D research, JDRF has funded $2.2 billion in charitable research in more than 20 countries since 1970. For more information, please go to www.jdrf.org
About Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes (T1D) is an autoimmune disease that impacts millions of people around the world. The disease occurs when the body’s immune system attacks and destroys the beta cells in the pancreas that produce insulin, a hormone essential to turning food into energy. Without insulin, glucose from food stays in the blood, where it can cause serious damage to all of the body’s organ systems. It requires constant carbohydrate counting, blood-glucose testing, and lifelong dependence on injected insulin. With T1D there are no days off, and there is no cure.
*JDRF does not endorse products, brands or services