The Youth Ambassador program was created to empower children with type 1 diabetes (T1D) by giving them the opportunity to provide diabetes education to the public while helping JDRF and the Southwest Ohio chapter by representing our organization and raising diabetes awareness. Our Youth Ambassadors accept the responsibility to represent JDRF in public settings and help steward our mission. This program also offers social opportunities to members in order to promote friendships and support of each other.
To apply for the 2020-2021 Youth Ambassador class, click here. Applications are due October 1, 2019.
2018-2019 Youth Ambassadors
Youth Ambassador Requirements
1. Be between the ages of 4-18
2. Have type 1 diabetes
3. Be willing to share his/her personal story in front of large groups and the media
4. Have a positive outlook on life and diabetes
5. Complete a minimum of 20 hours of participation in volunteer service at JDRF events and community outreach activities for the school year
6. Commit to participating in the program for an entire year (January 1–December 30)
7. Attend four JDRF activities (Walk, Gala, Ride, Outreach events)
8. Obtain parental permission in writing to be a part of the program
9. Arrange for transportation to and from responsibilities and activities
10. Not have served as an ambassador the prior year
11. Be available to attend a mandatory training session and photo shoot
12. At least one parent of the ambassador must commit to serving as a chapter Outreach Volunteer for the year
13. Attend a mandatory training and photoshoot in January 2020.
1. Provide health education to community through these various initiatives (when available and age-appropriate):
- Public speaking and presentations to schools, hospitals, companies, and organizations.
- Production of radio and TV PSAs.
- Participation in chapter outreach activities.
- Photos used for marketing and communication opportunities.
- Written statement from child/family to be used in brochures.
2. Perform general public relations activities.
3. Create awards, gifts of appreciation and other special items for donors.
4. Provide office assistance (invitation mailings, etc.).
5. Participate in Gala activities.
6. Participate in Walk activities by creating a Walk team and fundraising a minimum of $250.
7. Make calls/write notes to JDRF donors and sponsors to thank them for their support.
The Youth Ambassador program is proudly sponsored by TriHealth!