We are so excited about our new One Walk location at Six Flags Great Escape on Saturday, May 12. We wanted to make you aware of some exciting features and incentives that you will see on walk day and answer any questions you may have!
GETTING TO THE WALK
- A discounted room block has been set aside at the Great Escape Lodge and Indoor Water Park for those people wishing to stay over on Friday night. If you go to the link below, select “promotional” under special codes and then enter the code GES, you will be directed to the discounted rate to book on the Lodge website http://www.sixflagsgreatescapelodge.com/.
- As you drive to One Walk make sure you show all the other drivers that you are on The Road to a Cure and decorate your car. Shout out your T1D! Show your team spirit! Go JDRF! Honk for a Cure! Every decorated car that shows up to One Walk Great Escape will receive a coupon for a free Hoffman Car Wash. Make sure you beep and wave to the other cars you see!
- Six Flags Great Escape is located at 1172 State Route 9, Queensbury, NY 12804. Please visit https://www.sixflags.com/greatescape/plan-your-visit/directions for driving directions.
- Walkers will park in the main parking lot for the Great Escape. The parking lot is across the street from the park and is near the Great Escape Lodge. When you pull into the parking lot please tell the parking attendant that you are here for the walk. Parking is free. There is a short walk from the parking lot to the registration area. Shuttles will be available from Metropolitan Shuttle for those who cannot make the walk to registration. Please plan on arriving around 9:30 to allow yourself time to park and get to the walk pavilion.
Please have anyone that plans on coming to the walk register online ahead of time. This is vital to a smooth check-in experience and access to the park. Day-of registrations will be accepted but are discouraged. Children under the age of 2 don’t need to register and don’t require a ticket to get into the park. Everyone, whether they are walking the route or not will be required to register.
When you arrive on walk day, all walkers are required to stop at Check-In. Here you can turn in any donations you have, register if you haven’t done so already, and pick up your lunch ticket. Team Captains will be given an envelope at check-in containing their team’s Great Escape tickets. The Team Captain will then distribute the tickets to the members of the team that have earned them. If you have registered as an individual (not associated with a team) you will get your ticket at check-in.
Registration starts at 10am and so does the fun! The Walk kicks off at 11am and will take place rain or shine.
- Prior to the walk listen and dance to DJ Paul from Red Hot Entertainment.
- Enjoy coffee and bagels from Dunkin Donuts before the walk and lunch from Sysco Foods and soda from Martin Harding & Mazzotti, LLP after the walk.
- Get your face painted, grab a balloon animal, and then take a picture in our photo booth.
- Rufus will be on hand for a meet and greet and pictures.
We will start and end the walk at the pavilions near the Comet roller coaster. There will be a designated 1 mile walk route through the park. People may choose to walk 1, 2 or 3 loops.
GREAT ESCAPE PARK ADMISSION
- Thanks to our generous partnership with Six Flags Great Escape, every registered walker who raises $100 or more gets a park pass to use on Walk Day! Team Captains will be given an envelope at check-in containing their team’s Great Escape tickets. The Team Captain will then distribute the tickets to the members of the team that have earned them. If you have registered as an individual (not associated with a team) you will get your ticket at check-in.
- Walkers who have not raised $100+ will get a discount coupon to use toward purchasing their admission to the Great Escape for $20. Following lunch after the walk, any person needing a discount coupon can pick one up at the ticket booth that will be set up near the soda fountains. You will not need to go back to the main gate to purchase your ticket.
- Anyone who wants to enter the park after the walk must have a ticket. Kids 2 and under are free.
- Tickets are only good for Saturday, May 12th.
- Tickets can be transferred to another walker if you wish.
- Following the walk and lunch, walkers who choose not enter the park must return to their cars via a shuttle. The last shuttle will run at 1pm.
- Registered walkers who raise $100 or more individually will get free admission to the park on Walk day and earn an official One Walk T-Shirt!
- Registered walkers who have not raised $100+ will get a discount couponto use toward purchasing their Great Escape ticket if they would like to access the park on Walk day.
- Walkers who raise $250+ can earn prizes ranging from fashion and FitBits to tech and toys. There is something for everyone and you have until June 25th to earn your prize! Check out the prizes here.
- Have you or your family member been recently diagnosed with T1D? Is this your first time walking with us? New families can stop by the JDRF info table and pick up their One Walk Drawstring Backpack.
If your team raises $3,000+ (based on donations received by May 7th) you will earn a spot in our V1P Area! Being a Top Team comes with some special perks including: Customizable sign: “I’m the raise _______ type.” • Admission into V1P Area • Exclusive personalized “Mile of Hope” sign to be displayed along walk route • Reserved picnic table for your team • Invitation to our One Awards on June 27th for the Team Captain.
Walkers who individually raise $1,000+ on or prior to Walk day will earn V1P status! Being a V1P comes with some extra bonuses including: Great Escape V1P Experience with front of the line access and a free ride on the go carts or sky coaster • Commemorative V1P lanyard • All the perks of a top team.
TYPE 1 MOMS
New this year is our CAP COM Moms Tent. This is a special area just for our moms of children living with type 1 featuring chair massages from Back in Balance, specialty drinks, Lindt chocolates, and flowers for all the moms.
T1D LOOKS LIKE ME
- If you have T1D make sure you pick up your T1D Looks Like Me Head Buff at check-in to wear on Walk day. Wear it proudly because you are the reason we walk!
- Let everyone know who you are walking for when you fill out and wear your One Walk Walker Bib. Make sure to tell all your friends and family to pick one up at the JDRF info table and show it off!
MILE OF HOPE
Back by popular demand is our Mile of Hope. Any one that raises $1,000+ individually or $3,000+ as a team by April 27th is eligible to receive a Mile of Hope sign. Each sign will feature a picture, walker name, team name, and personalized message that will be displayed along the route at One Walk Great Escape on May 12.