A Message from our President & Chief Executive Officer:
Our highest priority is simple: funding research to deliver a cure, prevention, and better treatment options for type 1 diabetes (T1D) and its complications. But there are a whole lot of other things JDRF does to make it easier for people in the T1D community.
Take a moment to learn a little bit about what exactly JDRF does, then share these graphics with your family and friends.
Since our founding in 1970, we’ve contributed more than $2B to T1D research—and almost all of our spending goes directly to research and research-related education.
- JDRF-funded research has led to many landmark advances in T1D science
- Our priorities are curing and preventing T1D, and developing better treatments that will transform the way people with T1D treat and manage the disease today
- JDRF is funding more than 70 human clinical trials, several of which are in advanced stages
- We’re focused on taking that research knowledge and translating it into real therapies that will change the lives of those facing the daily challenges of T1D
Resources and Support
With the help of our community across the country, JDRF has the answers for just about everything, including care kits for the newly diagnosed and a guide for people with T1D looking to become parents.
- Our Online Diabetes Support Team will answer your
question within 48 hours and will put you in touch with someone in the T1D community who can walk you through the challenges of a diagnosis
- Our online forum offers people living with or affected by T1D a place to share challenges they may be facing or milestones they achieve
- Our care kit provides newly diagnosed adults with the tools they need and kids with a Bag of Hope
- We’ve also put together kits for students, teens, and soon-to-be parents with T1D to make life a little easier
- JDRF partnered with a coalition of organizations to deliver lifesaving diabetes supplies to victims of recent hurricanes—together, we distributed more than 7,000 pounds of insulin, needles, test strips, and other supplies to those in need.
JDRF Advocacy strives to secure continued federal funding for important diabetes research, inform health and regulatory policy, and improve the quality of life for those affected by T1D—until we find a cure. Among our current initiatives:
- Securing funding for research through the Special Diabetes Program
- Ensuring people have access to the most effective T1D treatments and therapies
- Urging insurance companies to provide predictable and reasonable costs for insulin, freedom to choose an insulin pump, and coverage of artificial pancreas systems
- Advocating for the highest possible funding levels for the National Institutes of Health and U.S. Food and Drug Administration
We’re working to provide these services and more—and we can only do this work with your help.
Thanks for being a part of the JDRF family, and for being with us during National Diabetes Awareness Month. I hope you’ll take a moment to let the people in your life know why JDRF is so crucial to managing and ending T1D.
Derek K. Rapp
President & Chief Executive Officer, JDRF