The JDRF Capital Chapter* is excited to launch the 2018-2019 Youth Ambassador program! Youth Ambassadors will have year-round involvement in providing awareness to our community while giving volunteer hours to JDRF to support its mission to create a world without type 1 diabetes (T1D.) The program will provide students with the opportunity to engage their community in advocacy and fundraising efforts, volunteering, and education about T1D through the help of JDRF. Students will interact with their peers, adults, and the media in order to successfully communicate their personal story and the messages of JDRF to the community.
What is a Youth Ambassador?
Youth Ambassadors are young people in grades 5-12 with T1D who are willing to share their story in order to increase awareness of T1D and are involved with volunteer efforts of the JDRF Capital Chapter.
What does a Youth Ambassador do?
We need your voice, your participation and your leadership.
- Be an active member of the JDRF Capital Chapter community by participating in local JDRF events and programs
- Write hand written thank you notes to select donors as needed
- Visit JDRF national corporate partners to say “thank you” and share your story of life with T1D
- Meet with Congressional representatives about diabetes issues as they arise
- Be available to help with posters, videos, speaking engagements, and as a media contact throughout the year
- Other activities to spread the word about JDRF and T1D in our community throughout the year
Youth Ambassadors should:
- Have T1D
- Be in grade 5-12
- Have the ability to speak positively about T1D and diabetes management
- Be willing to speak about T1D in front of small or large groups, or the media
- Participate in a chapter fundraising program or create your own fundraising event
Youth Ambassador Program Benefits:
- Give back to JDRF and the T1D community
- Excellent service experience for college applications and/or honor societies
- Upon completion of the program, JDRF Ambassadors will receive a JDRF Service Award, awarded at the Chapter Annual Meeting
*JDRF Capital Chapter covers the following territories:
District of Columbia / Montgomery, Prince George’s, Charles, and St. Mary’s counties in Maryland / Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudoun counties in Virginia / Jefferson and Berkeley counties in West Virginia