February 29, 2020, Atlanta, GA
$25 for Adults. FREE for Children 5-17yrs old
TypeOneNation Summit is a full-day of education and empowerment for our type 1 diabetes (T1D) community. The summit brings together T1D experts, physicians and researchers to share their knowledge of the latest treatments, breakthroughs in research, and the psycho-social aspects of living and thriving with T1D. Our summit will feature multiple breakout sessions, workshops and - new this year - fun and engaging activities for children and teens. Attendees will also enjoy a robust exhibit hall representing the latest in diabetes management technology, resources, publications, and well-known T1D influencers. This inspiring event is designed for all ages at all stages, offering insight and guidance for everyone from children to adults. Registration includes a full day of educational sessions, complimentary parking, continental breakfast, healthy snacks & beverages, and full hot & cold buffet lunch with gluten-free and vegetarian options. Don't wait to register, space is limited! ****UPDATE: Kids Camp is SOLD OUT but still plenty of tickets available for Adults and Taking Diabetes to College!***
- Check Registered children in to Kids Camp and Teen Central (8:00am-4:00pm) Parent or guardian must be registered and on-site during Kids Camp and Teen Central.
- Kids Camp: Kids Camp provides an opportunity for parents to enjoy the main program presentations while their kids enjoy a variety of supervised age-appropriate art and STEM activities, yoga, fun with Camp Kudzu and T1D education and stories. Lunch and snacks provided. Suitable for kids in grades K-4th. SOLD OUT
- Teen Central: For t’weens and teens with T1D, Teen Central provides the perfect opportunity for teens to hang out, meet other T1D teens, play video games, enjoy various activities and hear from other young adults who “get it”, including a visit and inspirational story from the amazing Patrick Mertes of Project 50-in-50, plus much more! Lunch and snacks provided. Suitable for youth from 5th to 10th grade. (Older teens should attend the Taking Diabetes to College sessions)
Keynote and Mission Update – Nicole Johnson, DrPH, MPH, MA – JDRF National Director of Mission
- Juicebox Podcast – Part 1- Scott Benner will boldly change the way you think about and manage T1D (content based on his popular podcast!)
- Basal’s the Name – Change is the Game – New Basal Insulins, Ratio and Testing guidelines for Adults
- Fueling Your Best Life – T1D perspective on food from Low Carb to the Mediterranean Diet and everything in between
- JDRF Advocacy – Your T1D Story is your super power – How to use it to change the world!
- Diabetes Learning Curve – Ask the Experts – for Parents of children with T1D & Adults with T1D in the first 2 years
- Taking Diabetes To College – Before you Go – Things you Gotta know! The Essentials For Parents & Highschool Juniors and Seniors
- Juicebox Podcast – Part 2 – with Scott Benner & Jenny Smith – Pro Tips – change your approach – change your life! Incorporating BOLD strategies from Part 1 (based on the popular podcast)
- Denials, Appeals, Switching Oh My! Insurance Talk – Know your options and how to trouble-shoot issues
- JDRF Research Update! Georgia Tech’s Garcia Lab shares the latest on their exciting Beta Cell Replacement research
- Taking T1D to School – An empowering plan for presenting and enforcing your child’s 504 Plan
- YOLO – “Chillax”! Your Teen with T1D is the “GOAT” – a positive approach to the T’ween and Teen years
- Taking Diabetes to College – split Q&A for parents and students – advice for everything from greek life to roommates to sick days
A full hot & cold buffet lunch with gluten-free and vegetarian options
Eric Tozer on Overcoming Obstacles – The World Marathon Challenge – 7 Marathons on 7 Continents in 7 Consecutive Days
- Taking Care of YOU – Why self-care for caregivers matters
- PEAK – Performance -Exercise and Knowledge for Adults – Techniques for BG control that empower your fit lifestyle (entry level to competitive)
- Love and T1D- A Survival Guide – The balancing act between relationships and diabetes (for singles & couples!)
- Begin with A Budget – Financial security and peace of mind with T1D is achievable with a plan (SunTrust Foundation session)
- Score! Youth Sports and Exercise – strategies to safely manage BG across multiple activities
- Taking Diabetes to College – Fostering resilience – You’re Ready!
T1D and Tech: The Latest Advancements – Expert Panel with Q & A
An adults-only Happy Hour will follow in the Club Room after the closing remarks. All attendees, including volunteers, speakers and vendors who are 21 and older are invited to attend. Complimentary light snacks and soft drinks. Adult beverages will be self-pay. Relax and reflect with new and old friends after an amazing day of education and empowerment. Please keep in mind there will be no childcare provided after 4PM.
Our Featured Speakers
Diane Herbert, MSS, LSW, CFM, CDE, LMSW, co-author of Diabetes-How to Help: Your Complete Guide to Caring for a Loved One with Diabetes
Darnyl Katzinger, PhD, Licensed Clinical Psychologist specializing in assessing and treating adolescent and family challenges related to chronic and acute medical issues, in both private practice and with Pediatric Endocrine Associates
More from the Georgia and South Carolina Chapter