FDA Authorizes Tidepool Loop, an Automated Insulin Dosing App
Last month, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) authorized the Tidepool Loop, an algorithm that can eventually be used to work with commercially available insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) for the management of type 1 diabetes (T1D) in people 6 years and older. JDRF, in partnership with Helmsley Charitable Trust, has been a key supporter of Tidepool. Read more.
JDRF NorCal Announces TypeOneNation Summit Speaker Lineup
Our NorCal T1D community is coming together for the TypeOneNation Summit on March 25 at The Roundhouse Conference Center at Bishop Ranch in San Ramon for a day of learning, networking, and a Youth/Teen Program. We’re thrilled to announce our Keynote Speaker and a lineup of prestigious specialists who will lead a wide variety of breakout sessions:
- Keynote: Decoding and Reprogramming T Cells with CRISPR – Dr. Alex Marson, Director of the Gladstone-UCSF Institute of Genomic Immunology and Professor in the UCSF Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases.
- It’s Not Just About the Numbers: Tackling the Emotional Side of Living with Diabetes (for T1D Adults) – Dr. Lawrence Fisher, Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology at UCSF.
- Know your Rights: Managing T1D in Daycare, Aftercare, and Camps (for Parents and Caregivers) – Aaron Fischer, LSW
- Food & Nutrition for T1D: What to Eat & How to Bolus – Dr. Marina Basina, Clinical Professor at Stanford University, Division of Endocrinology & Leah Groppo, MS, RD, BC-ADM, CDCES
- Parenting for Resilience (for Parents and Caregivers) – JoAnne Robb, MFT, Founder of Sweet Talk
Using Exercise to Build Resilience – Dr. Roy Collins, Psychiatrist, former Yale Varsity Football Letterman and current Chief Resident at Stanford Healthcare, Living with T1D
- Insulin Affordability & CIVICA’s Partnership with JDRF and the State of California – Aaron Turner-Phifer, Director of Health Policy at JDRF
- Hooray! Teplizumab (Tzield) is Approved – Now What? – Dr. Gitelman, Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at UCSF
Comparing Closed-Loop Technologies – Dr. Rayhan Lal, Adult and Pediatric Endocrinologist at Stanford University
JDRF NorCal Chapter Annual Meeting & Research Discussion on February 28
Reserve your spot today!
Join us for the JDRF Northern California Chapter Annual Meeting & Research Discussion on February 28 at The City Club of San Francisco. The event will feature a chapter and organization update, followed by a panel research discussion with Mark Anderson, MD, PhD, Professor, Diabetes Center, UCSF and Kyle Loh, PhD, Assistant Professor of Developmental Biology (Stem Cell), Stanford, moderated by Aaron Kowalski, PhD, JDRF’s CEO. Learn more and register today!
JDRF Game2Give Spotlight: Video Game Tycoon Turns Nostalgia into an Enterprise
Limited Run Games co-founder Josh Fairhurst is highly involved with JDRF Game2Give, a partnership with video game players, streamers, and developers to raise money to fight T1D. Josh lives with T1D and feels strongly about supporting JDRF, an organization that has had a direct impact on him. He has been busy hosting charity streams on his Twitch channel, in addition to donating collector’s edition games to JDRF Game2Give streaming events. Read his story.
Upcoming Chapter Events
JDRF NorCal Annual Meeting & Research Discussion – February 28, 2023, 5:30PM, San Francisco, CA. Register here.
JDRF Night with the Golden State Warriors – March 24, 2023, Chase Center, San Francisco, CA. Learn more and purchase tickets.
Sacramento T1D Meet-up for Families & Caregivers – March 5, 2PM, Harry Crab Park, Roseville, CA. Learn more.
JDRF TypeOneNation Summit – March 25, 2023, Roundhouse Conference Center at Bishop Ranch, San Ramon, CA. Register here.
Big Sur International Marathon – Team JDRF – April 30, 2023, Highway 1 from Big Sur to Carmel. Learn more and register.
JDRF Tee to Table Golf, Tennis & Culinary Event – May 5, 2023, The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, CA. Sponsorships and tickets available!
Save the Date! JDRF Hope Gala – September 30, 2023. The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
Recurring Outreach Events:
E-Meet & Greets: Monthly Zoom Meetups – Rotating Wednesdays, 12pm PT
Parents and Caregivers of Children with T1D Under the Age of 5
Parents and Caregivers of Children with T1D Ages 5-12
Parents and Caregivers of Children with T1D Ages 13-21
Adults Living with T1D
Reunión Virtual Para Adultos y Familias con Diabetes Tipo 1 en Español – Segundo Miércoles, 5-6pm PT
T1D Teen Connect Monthly Meetup – Third Wednesdays, 5-6pm PT
Register for the next T1D Teen Connect.
Ask the Endo Monthly Sessions – Third Tuesdays, 8-9am PT
Register for the next Ask the Endo.
Ask the Therapist Monthly Sessions – First Wednesdays, 8-9am PT
Register for the next Ask the Therapist.
Young Leadership Committee (YLC) Meetings – First Wednesdays, 6pm PT
Register for the next YLC Monthly Meeting.
Special Announcements & Resources
- Become a JDRF Advocate! Help secure Federal funding for T1D research, and inform health and regulatory policy. Visit jdrf.org/join and email your U.S. Senators TODAY to advocate for the INSULIN Act to make insulin more affordable.
- Insulin Access: Need help accessing insulin? Visit GetInsulin.org
- Clinical Trials: Participating in a clinical trial is a great way to contribute to curing, preventing and treating T1D and its complications. Learn more
- Health Insurance Guide: JDRF is committed to supporting you by providing tools to help you navigate healthcare and health insurance. Learn more
- New Facebook Group for Spanish Speakers: JDRF California del norte en español
- Follow JDRF NorCal on Social Media: Stay connected on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube
Be the first to know about T1D news, local events and more: Click here and scroll down to Sign Up for JDRF subscriptions.
JDRF Northern California Chapter
Northwest Region Address:
JDRF, 1215 4th Ave. #1100
Seattle, WA 98161