JDRF’s One Walk event is coming up, and it’s a great opportunity for workplace teams to have fun while supporting a good cause.
How Philanthropy Creates a Better Workplace
When employees are happy, they’re more likely to work hard and less likely to quit. They’re more motivated and focused. In short, they’re better employees. This benefits everyone.
To increase employee wellbeing, companies are investing in a variety of initiatives, including wellness programs and financial education. Philanthropy is also gaining recognition as a great way to boost wellness.
According to the 2017 Deloitte Volunteerism Survey, most working Americans think that workplace volunteer opportunities are worthwhile.
- 89 percent say companies that sponsor volunteer activities offer a better overall working environment than companies that do not.
- 77 percent say company-sponsored volunteer activities are essential to employee well-being.
- 70 percent say volunteer activities are more likely to boost employee morale than company-sponsored happy hours.
Walking for JDRF Is the Perfect Opportunity
When selecting a cause for your company to support, you need to pick one that everyone in your workplace can get behind. JDRF’s One Walk is perfect.
The event’s goal is to raise $250,800 to support type 1 diabetes research and outreach programming. Type 1 diabetes is a chronic condition with no known cure. Managing it requires constant attention to medicine, diet and exercise. JDRF is working hard to develop better treatments and a cure.
Approximately 1.25 million Americans have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. There’s a good chance that someone at your workplace has the condition or knows someone who does. Regardless, the One Walk event is a great way to have fun and get outside while supporting a good cause.
How to Get Involved
The One Walk event will take place on September 22, 2019, at the Portland International Raceway. It’s easy for workplace teams to get involved.
- Register your team as the team captain. You can also re-create a past team if you participated last year, join a team that’s already registered, or sign up to participate as an individual.
- Attend the kick-off celebration at Oak Park on June 22. You don’t have to attend the celebration to participate in the One Walk event, but it will be a fun opportunity to meet other teams.
- Join us on September 22 for the big event.