NFL players across the league have selected JDRF as their charity and are sporting custom-designed cleats to raise awareness for type 1 diabetes (T1D).
Launched in 2016, the NFL My Cause My Cleats campaign provides players and coaches the opportunity to showcase their passion and creativity while bringing awareness to the causes that are most important to them.
This year, JDRF is excited to have the support of several NFL players impacted by T1D —some who are living with T1D and others who have loved ones who have been diagnosed.
The campaign kicked off on Giving Tuesday with unboxing day events featuring videos and images of the players’ customized cleats and the stories behind them. The annual initiative culminates during NFL week 13, when players sport their artistic designs and bring their causes to the forefront on game day.
Players also have the option to raise funds for their causes by donating their cleats to the NFL Auction, where 100% of the funds raised are donated to their select charities.
This year, JDRF is honored to have the support of Mark Andrews of the Baltimore Ravens, DeAndre Carter of the Los Angeles Chargers, Blake Ferguson of the Miami Dolphins, Chad Muma of the Jacksonville Jaguars (the photo is of his design), and Kevin Rader of the Tennessee Titans.
We were also excited to have ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter select JDRF as his charity for the campaign. Adam’s wife, Sharri, was diagnosed with T1D as an adult.
Here’s a list of the players and the dates of their MCMC games (be sure to look at their feet on the field!):
- Mark Andrews, Baltimore Ravens Tight End #89. Mark was diagnosed with T1D at age nine. Game: Baltimore Ravens host Denver Broncos on Sun, Dec 4 @ 1:00 p.m. on CBS.
- DeAndre Carter, L.A. Chargers Wide Receiver #1. DeAndre was diagnosed with T1D during his freshman year of high school. Game: Los Angeles Chargers at Las Vegas Raiders on Sun, Dec 4 @ 4:25 p.m. on CBS.
- Blake Ferguson, Miami Dolphins Long Snapper #50. Blake was diagnosed with T1D at age 13. Game: Miami Dolphins at San Francisco 49ers on Sun, Dec 4 @ 4:05 p.m. on FOX.
- Chad Muma, Jacksonville Jaguars Line Backer #48. Chad was diagnosed with T1D at age 13. Game: Jacksonville Jaguars at Detroit Lions on Sun, Dec 4 @ 1:00 p.m. on FOX.
- Kevin Rader, Tennessee Titans Tight End #86. Kevin was diagnosed with T1D during his freshman year of high school. Game: Tennessee Titans at Philadelphia Eagles on Sun, Dec 4 @ 1:00 p.m. on FOX.
H Dec. 4 @ 1:00 p.m. on FOX.