Are you looking for ways to get involved, advance T1D research, strengthen your understanding of T1D, and find your community? Then look no further; JDRF has a place for you to take action and find your community. There are lots of ways to get involved but here we will outline some amazing options for those of you who are new to T1D and JDRF.
Join JDRF Community Meet Ups
Every month our chapter host zoom calls for families and adults living with T1D. These meet ups are the one hour out of your month to spend with people who “get it”. The calls offer new perspectives, tips and tricks for all situations, a group who listens, and a lot of laughter when you need it most. Our community is the best part of T1D, and we want you to be part of it!
- Family Meet Ups – the second Tuesday of every month at 7:00pm. Register here.
- Adult meet Ups – the last Thursday of every month at 7:30pm. Register here.
- Request an Outreach Volunteer (OV) connection – this group of veteran T1D families are trained and ready to support to you through texts, phone calls, coffee meet ups, or playdates (when it is safe). They are ready to help you learn the “art” of living with T1D, even in the middle of the night. To request a pairing with an OV please email Anne Sutton at email@example.com.
Become an Advocate
Becoming and advocate is easy. You can advocate from anywhere, at any time, as a member of any political party. Your story and your voice help advance T1D research, ensure that regulatory policy is clear, and that all people living with T1D have access to therapies they need. We need you to share your story and change the future of T1D. To become an advocate please visit jdrf.org/advocacy and click join today!
JDRF’s advocacy priorities for 2020:
- Invest in Innovation: Advocate for continued funding for the Special Diabetes Program (SDP), which provides $150 million a year in T1D research.
- Ensure Regulatory Frameworks that Promote Innovation: Ensure United States regulatory policies provide clear and reasonable pathways for scientific research and therapy approvals.
- Promote Access to Life-Changing T1D Breakthroughs: Advocate for coverage, affordability and choice of T1D therapies in the health care system and for national policies that protect those with pre-existing conditions like T1D.
Become a Fundraiser
JDRF has multiple ways that you and your family can jump in and raise funds for the life changing T1D research we fund. Together we will find a CURE for T1D.
- JDRF One Walk is the largest T1D event in the world! It is a community celebration for those living with T1D and the research advancements we’ve all worked together to achieve. Dedicated families, friends and companies raise money to improve the lives of those living with T1D, until it is no longer a threat. Register at walk.jdrf.org
- JDRF Ride isn’t just a weekend of cycling, it’s a global community with an ongoing commitment to find a cure for T1D. No matter where you live, how you choose to ride or how far you go, you’ll be surrounded by the T1D community—fellow riders, coaches, friends and family, cheering you on at every milestone. ride.jdrf.org
- JDRF Gala is an amazing evening focused on one purpose: raising funds to support JDRF’s Mission to find a cure for T1D. The night begins with cocktails, silent & live auctions and ends with Fund A Cure. All gifts donated during the Fund A Cure portion of the night go 100% to funding life changing T1D research! hopegalacharlotte.com hopegalacharlotte.com or reach out to NorthCarolina@jdrf.org for more information about a Gala you.
- JDRF Your Way if you don’t see a fundraising option you love, create your own! You can use our Your Way platform to make sending out a donation link a breeze; tax letters will be emailed for you; and donations will be tracked so it is easy to send thank you notes after your event. All you need is a fundraising idea you love! Register at yourway.jdrf.org