National Diabetes Awareness Month (NDAM) is observed every November to bring attention to diabetes and its effects on millions of Americans. As the leading global organization funding type 1 diabetes (T1D) research, JDRF leads the way to educate the public, and we hope the T1D community can help us spread awareness about what it means to live with T1D and raise funds to accelerate life-changing breakthroughs to cure, prevent and treat T1D and its complications. Here are some exciting things to keep an eye out for during this time, resources to help raise awareness, and tips to launch some exciting fundraisers. Be sure to check out this page all month long for updates!
FORWARD for Type 1 Diabetes: Moving Forward for T1D unites us, urging everyone to join in and collectively stride towards a brighter, healthier future for those living with T1D. Together, we can raise awareness, foster a sense of community, prioritize better health, and champion research for cures. Type 1 diabetes won’t stop us from moving forward. Visit jdrf.org/ndam to learn more about how together, we are moving #Forward4T1D and spread the word with our photo filter and hashtags on social media.
FINDING A CURE STARTS WITH AWARENESS: The JDRF Greater New England Chapter is excited to highlight storytellers and advocates who share their experience with T1D. These individuals will be featured on our social media channels as they share their story and fundraise for JDRF during the most crucial month of the year. The T1D Storyteller does not have to have T1D to be a part of this campaign. We want to share all the stories from our T1D community including those who have T1D, care for someone with T1D, love someone with T1D, or have no connection to T1D, but want to make an impact towards our shared mission of a world without T1D. To apply or nominate someone, please visit bit.ly/NDAM2023 today!
- November 1: T1Day
- November 14: World Diabetes Day
- November 28: Giving Tuesday
LIGHT IT UP BLUE: Join our Light It Up Blue campaign and help raise awareness for World Diabetes Day, marked every year on November 14. Visit the landmarks in your area that will be lit blue. Check back as more listings join the campaign!
- Memorial Bridge (Portsmouth, NH/Kittery, ME)
- 888 Boylston (Boston)
- Boston City Hall
- Boston Harbor Hotel
- Boylston Plaza (Boston)
- Fore River Bridge (Quincy/Weymouth)
- John E. Cox Memorial Bridge (Lowell)
- Kenneth F. Burns Memorial Bridge (Worcester/Shrewsbury)
- Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge (Boston)
- Longfellow Bridge (Boston)
- Patriot Place (Foxboro)
- Prudential Tower (Boston)
- New Hampshire
- Memorial Bridge (Portsmouth, NH/Kittery, ME)
- Rhode Island
- Rhode Island State House (Providence)
- Sakonnet River Bridge (Portsmouth/Tiverton)
SHARE YOUR STORY: Landmarks aren’t the only thing to turn blue this November. Raise awareness in your communities by sharing your T1D story on social media or with a local paper, rally your school or workplace to wear blue for the day, or light your house up with blue lights. Pro Tip: Add your fundraising link to the bottom of your story. Raise awareness and funds for T1D research!
SCHOOL HEALTH TEAM WEBINAR ON 11/14: Members of the school health team and other interested healthcare providers are invited to join us for our educational series, Type 1 Diabetes Toolkit for the School Year: Basics and Beyond presented by Lauren Connors, BSN, RN School Nurse, Belmont Day School; Julie M. Griffith, MSN, RN, PNP, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Joslin Diabetes Center; and Reyna Maher, BSN, RN, School Nurse, Hiawatha Elementary School. Join us for this free, virtual webinar on Tuesday, November 14 at 4 p.m. by registering today at bit.ly/JDRFWebinar11-14.
JDRF NIGHTS OUT: Join JDRF and the T1D Community at one of our exciting JDRF Nights Out this November! Be sure to check back as more events are added.
- November 1: Jack’s Abby | Framingham, MA
- Dine for Diabetes at Jack’s Abby on Wednesday, November 1, 20% of your total will be donated back to JDRF with promo code NEIGHBORNIGHT.
- November 2: Virtual T1D Meetup (Ages 10-18)
Having friends who “get it” can make it easier. Join the Greater New England T1D tween and teen community for a virtual meet up on November 2 from 7 – 8 p.m.! Whether you were diagnosed yesterday or years ago, join us and connect with other teens (10-18) living with T1D to share in a safe space while making new friends. This event is hosted by Advay Verma, Lexington High School Sophomore, Living with T1D since 2017. Registration is required: https://bit.ly/JDRFMeetUp11-2.
- November 11: Maine Mariners | Portland, ME
- The Maine Mariners are proud to present an exclusive JDRF discount offer for their exciting game on Saturday, November 11 at 6 p.m. Experience the thrill of live hockey and the warmth of a community united for a commendable cause. Get your tickets today at fevo-enterprise.com/event/JDRFNov11th.
- November 14: Pizzeria Uno | Nashua, NH
- Dine for Diabetes at Pizzeria Uno on Tuesday, November 14, 20% of your total will be donated back when you mention JDRF or show them this flyer: UNO Nashua Dine for Diabetes flyer!
- November 19: Worcester Railers | Worcester, MA
- Root for the home team at JDRF Night at the Worcester Railers on Sunday, November 19 at 3:05 p.m. Get your tickets today at fevo-enterprise.com/Jdrf3.
JDRF VIRTUAL TYPEONENATION: JDRF’s TypeOneNation Virtual Summit continues on Tuesday, November 14 at 6 p.m. with “T1D Across the Globe”. Register today!
STATE PROCLAMATION: Greater New England Governors have always been great supporters of the T1D community by signing proclamations for National Diabetes Awareness Month. Ask your local Governor today! We will post the official proclamations here to share with the greater community.
RHODE ISLAND WORLD DIABETES DAY: This year, Rhode Islanders will celebrate on Tuesday, November 14 from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza in Warwick. Join this free event full of helpful, eye-opening, and inspirational presentations, discussions, and Q&A sessions. Plus, leading up to RI World Diabetes Day, join us for the 4-week Rhode to Wellness Challenge that will encourage you to discover a wealth of healthy resources right in RI! Learn more about this event at riwdd.org.
CHALLENGE: 14 ON 11/14: Join the challenge! Walker, Riders, and JDRF Your Wayers send 14 emails to donors who have not donated yet this year on November 14. This day marks World Diabetes Day—what better day to move #ForwardAs1! Pro Tip: Ask the JDRF Staff for a list of your past donors.
GIFTS THAT GIVE BACK: Giving to others has always been a hallmark of the holiday season and this year, you can spread joy by supporting the T1D community through gifts that give back and help drive JDRF’s mission forward to find cures for T1D. This month LWP, Shimmer by Cindy, Lokai, Mattress Firm and others will not only brighten someone’s day but will have a lasting impact on the lives of families and individuals living with T1D.
JDRF NDAM VIRTUAL BACKGROUNDS: Generate awareness of T1D and NDAM during all your online events and gatherings. Download these backgrounds.
Looking for more ideas? Check out our National Diabetes Awareness Month Info-graphic! Download it, share it with friends, family, supporters and colleagues!